Our mission is to:
- Provide high quality entertainment to a broad audience at an affordable ticket price
- Re-invigorate and re-interpret the operatic form
- Find new ways of presenting and preserving these archetypal operatic stories by making them concise, direct and adapted to a contemporary context.
- Create an environment in which different music cultures can interact
- Provide a platform and work opportunities for Australian classical and contemporary singers
- Demonstrate that all music styles are relevant and can exist alongside and complement each other
- Encourage youth to see opera and live music by offering cheap tickets to Under 25’s
Julie Edwardson | Artistic Director
Julie studied Fine Art Painting at RMIT while commencing her professional music career as a jazz singer and pianist. She fronted her own band, The Jodi Stor Quintet, which performed extensively around the Melbourne Jazz scene.
Julie transitioned into opera, firstly as a young artist with Victoria State Opera and then as a young artist and principal singer with Opera Australia for six years. She studied directing at NIDA and moved into directing with Opera Australia as a resident director for five years before going freelance.
Julie has since directed with Australia’s five state opera companies. Her mainstage-directing career culminated in a Green Room Award for Opera Australia’s La Sonnumbula, which was performed across the country. During her 30 years in the opera industry Julie has seen opera audiences dwindle and fail to attract younger audiences. As a result, she established Emotionworks Cut Opera with a vision for opera fusion and reduction.